Sunday, February 12, 2017

Departure Day Feb 6 (a/k/a Smashing Dishes Day)

We did it…we finally did it. We were able to pull out of French Camp, MS around 5:30 p.m. on Monday, February 6th. We had hoped to leave in the early afternoon but the repair mechanic didn’t arrive until 10:30 or so.  Bill stayed close to the rig in case he was needed; I tried to keep myself busy so as not to get over-anxious. (Yes, I know, some of you find that hard to believe.J)  Around 2:30, as I and a fellow ViMMer were walking back towards the RV parking area, she asked excitedly, “do you here that?” I’m like “hear what???” “The motor’s running.” Hallelujah! Sure enough, it was our motorhome  that was running.  PTL!!! Shortly after, the mechanic finished up and after he was sure it would keep running, he took off. Bill wasn’t too far behind him as he had to sign paperwork back at the shop (a bit over a half hour away) so that our Extended Warranty would cover the repairs. Not sure why they couldn’t send the paperwork with the mechanic but we happily complied to ensure coverage. While he did that I took care of “buttoning up” the place one more time and said a few more good-byes for the umpteenth time.  Not complaining, really, I’m not. As I keep saying, our friends at FC (staff & students) have become so very dear to us; we were just beyond-ready to be gone. After saying good bye to our ViMMer friends and being “prayed off” by one special couple, we pulled out of the RV parking lot about 5 p.m. Thank you, Lord!

We were making good time, the roads weren’t too busy (which I was very grateful for), and it was time to stop for fuel around 8:30/9 p.m. in Tallulah LA. Bill did a walk around and everything looked good, except one car tire strap needed to be tightened up. (Always the same one. Don’t know why but grateful to have the opportunity to make it right.) As we drove out of the lot (which seemed particularly dark), the front left tire of the motorhome hit a huge pothole or something and scared the breath right out of us. It also caused the cabinet holding our daily Corel dishes to come flying out…crashing and smashing in every direction. What a mess. Bill immediately pulled over so that we could assess the damage and clean up as much as possible. The good news: we still have service for four (now, instead of eight) and one large and one shallow serving bowl broke and one didn’t. In other words, none of the Corel that broke will be missed much. PTL! However, the sad news was that the only two dishes (small shallow bowls) I had kept from my mom’s china set broke. Now I’ll have something to look for when the ViMM ladies have a day out visiting thrift stores.  Actually, the worst part of all this was I figured we’d be unexpectantly finding pieces of broken dishes for days to come. No barefootin’ tonight. The bathroom cabinet also popped open flinging most of the bottom shelf into sink or on floor. The good news there is nothing broke. Quick clean up, thank you very much.

We got back on the road still feeling a bit little shook up, but that was nothing. Bill had turned our rear view camera off as the light bothers his eyes at night. After traveling several miles, I turned it back on (I always like to know that our car is still back there) it wasn’t!!! No, Lord no! I was totally freakin’ out, Bill was frantically (as frantic as he gets) playing with the buttons on the camera, and I was begging him to just pull over…grateful we were at a spot where he could. And I, shaking and praying diligently, went to investigate. Thank you Lord, Thank you! Everything was in its place; the car was on the dolly and all was well. By the time I climbed back in the rig, Bill had determined that we must have bumped the side view button which showed nothing because there was nothing alongside us to see. I shook for quite awhile longer as I continued to praise the Lord. We managed to continue on (not sure how Bill did it) for a while longer; he really wanted to make Texas before we stopped but we got as far as the Pilot Truck Stop in Haughton LA at 11:30p.m. This is the first time we boondocked at a truck stop. They tend to be a bit noisier than a Walmart parking lot and I found that to be true; however, Bill wanted to try it and it didn’t seem to bother him at all. He watched me clean up more of the broken glass for a few minutes when I told him to just go to bed; I was still a bit too wound up to sleep. Not so much with Bill, he conked out right away and I climbed into bed around 12:30. Not sure when I fell asleep. It didn’t come easy.    

The next morning I found out that every truck that came into the truck stop had to drive past our motor home.  I was awake, on and off, starting at 3:30 a.m. We both got up before 6 and decided why not just grab a quick breakfast and hit the road. We did have to tighten up that car tire strap again.  Lord, thank you for keeping it secure enough as we travel! Thirty minutes later, we were finally in Texas. Sometime, mid-afternoon we made it to Forest Glen Springs Camp--new home to Wilderness Ridge Camp. I’m not even going to attempt to write about some of the challenges we had getting to our destination once we got to Texas. Let’s just say, county roads in Texas are not well maintained and its best to stay off them if at all possible. Unfortunately, the last three miles to the camp were on narrow, curvy, bumpy county roads. There were times I thought the cabinets might pop open again, it was that rough. But, praise the Lord again and again, we made it safely and the motor home seems to have survived without any problem.


We received a very warm welcome from the staff as well as fellow ViMMers and other volunteers at Forest Glen Springs/Wilderness Ridge. Apparently, the anticipation of our “long awaited” arrival made them eager to greet us. We were all set up and relaxing in our new surroundings by early evening. Whew!!! Hardly covers what we are both feeling. So grateful to finally be on a new project, where we’re meeting and making new friends, exploring another camp, and serving our Lord & Savior anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment