Sunday, April 30, 2017

Rain, Rain, & More Rain

Seriously, I mean REaaally? I can’t imagine how Mrs. Noah must have felt. It is definitely the rainy season in Missouri (and apparently throughout the Midwest). We had a bit of a break on Thursday (4/26) after very heavy rains last Wednesday when flash flood warnings begin to appear throughout the state. After all we’re in the foothills of the Ozarks with lots of hills and valleys. Praise the Lord, we’re on a hill and up until yesterday (Sat 4/29) the rain didn’t stop us from our comings and goings.

I have to admit my sleeping hasn’t been good. Heavy rains, and I’m talking heavy rains, and loud, sometimes constant claps of thunder, just put me on edge. Not sure when I became so leery of storms; but I’m sure it has to do with our first days and months of motor homing when we had lots of storms and tornado warnings, and for the first time, I had no basement to hide in. To be honest, I felt guilty about that…trusting my basement more than my Savior. Anyway, as a good friend of mine once told me that she loves thunderstorms because it shows God’s amazing power. I wish I could say the same. I’m sad to say, that doesn’t help me. (You can pray for me, please and thank you.)

Yesterday morning, we actually watched a movie (on DVD, the TV reception is terrible here, even in good weather). Can’t remember the last time I watched a movie during the day and I wasn’t even sick. Later in the day, I needed to do something productive so I made some cards (got four done…the most I’ve done in one day since we started this new season of life) and Bill & I played some gin rummy. I don’t think Bill ever left the rig. I did for maybe 15 minutes. It was still heavy misty raining but I just had to get some fresh air. It was more heavy than fresh, but I still embraced it. I took a short walk out the drive of the camp just to see if any water was coming over the drive at the bottom of a slight hill. There was, but just a little bit coming over the road…I wonder what it looks like now? (I’ll be checking it out as soon as we get a break in the rain; that is, if we get a break in the rain.)

Speaking of bad television reception, that doesn’t help my weak knees during these storms. I like watching the weather reports that refer to the particular counties. Yes, I can check on my phone but it’s not as helpful or specific. I feel a bit isolated as both our neighbors (co-workers) pulled out early Friday morning and we haven’t seen much of the camp staff. Everyone is staying indoors.

Until NOW! (Mid-Sunday afternoon.) HalleluJAH! The rain has finally stopped and the sky is starting to brighten, so Bill and I took a walk down the drive which wasn’t as flooded as I anticipated. More water is covering the road than yesterday but nothing like other places we have heard about. Note, at the end of the video, what you see is not a river but a horse pasture. Hopefully, you can hear the movement of the water as it is a bit hard to see in the video. After our walk, and a bit of lunch, we finally had the opportunity to hang outside for a bit of talking to the camp staff that lives on the property. So fun watching a half dozen little kids playing in the huge puddles (large enough for a plethora of frog eggs) and mud. I can’t say I remember those days, as most of you know, I don’t like to get dirty. Still don’t! But it was fun watching them and finally spending some time outside and talking to someone other than each other. And so the adventure continues. Hopefully, the waters will recede and the rains will cease for a while so that we can pull out of here (Camp David) on Tuesday as planned. We will keep you posted.

Until next time...be blessed & be a blessing!


No comments:

Post a Comment