Thursday, March 10, 2016

And The Journey Begins

It’s 6:30 Wed (3/9) morning and I’ve been awake most of the night. Not sure when thunder storms and pouring rain became an issue for me. Maybe it’s the fact that I’m not in my big house in a place I am very familiar but rather I’m in a motor home parked in a place at a campground that I’ve never been before. It’s been storming and raining so very hard since yesterday afternoon. There have been a few breaks but very few. I feel like we could be floating away at any moment. I keep reminding myself that God is in control. He is my refuge and strength, my ever-present help, my safety net in the storms of life. And, oh man, what a storm this is. “I am trusting thee Lord Jesus, trusting only thee.”

Well, that wasn’t how I wanted to start my blogging site. I’ve had many thoughts and great things to share in our travels thus far but I just haven’t had the chance to do it. Here’s a “quick” rundown.
Rounding that last bend in the road, and seeing our soon to be motor home (located near Tehlaquah OK) for the first time took my breath away. There never really was a question as to whether or not we would buy it. We just knew this was the one God had chosen for us and He did not disappoint. So many big and small things that we love about it. One thing that was above and beyond anything we could have asked for, is the couple from whom we purchased the motor home: Bill & Jean Munson.  Another Bill (seriously???). To keep things clear after our first conversation with him we tagged him “Monaco Bill” after the model motor home he had for us. Words can’t describe their generosity in all they did for us in those first few days. We had asked to stay in it overnight (even before the purchase was made) and they found us a local site to park which meant Bill had an opportunity to drive and set it up with the help of a very experienced RVer.  The other tips and gadgets they shared with us were and will be so very helpful as we begin to figure out how to live in this beautiful tiny house on wheels.

Another very wonderful blessing was how they helped us in the first leg of our new journey as motor home owners which I will get to in a minute. But first, one thing I hadn’t considered (I truly believe the Lord kept it hidden from me) was that I was going to have to follow Bill in the car until we were able to purchase a car dolly to haul the car behind the motor home. Seriously??? I don’t even get to ride in our new home yet and I hate driving in unfamiliar territory. But worse than having to follow Bill, once we were on our own, I actually had to lead the way. He had enough to learn in handling the rig (so much easier and quicker to type than motor home) that I needed to be the navigator which generally is my job, after all I’m the one with the smart phone. There were a few anxious moments…but we survived. Hallelujah!

Okay back to that wonderful blessing…Monaco Bill and Jean needed to be on the road, Tuesday, 3/1, morning, as they were heading out to do a work project (like the ones we’re planning on doing) and realized that we were all heading in the same direction. So, we got up early on Tuesday (won’t talk about the lack of sleep I had that night as well because of a thunderstorm and getting used to all the new sounds in our new home), learned how to pack everything tight so things won’t slip and slide and then we caravanned out of town. The idea was for Monaco Bill to lead my Bill into some tight spots for turning practice (Wal-Mart parking lot) and then a stop at a Flying J’s to gas up (or should I say diesel up). What a blessing. I must admit, watching Bill maneuver that thing through and around the pumps, cars, and trucks was pretty impressive…too bad I couldn’t enjoy the moment as my stomach was in knots for him. (Help me, Jesus, surrender my fears.)

Our first stop was Tuesday (3/1) afternoon in Reno TX to see our good friend, short-term house mate, His House alumni, and now President of the Board of Directors for His House, Kyle Ackeret. We had several discussions about there being room to pull the rig into his driveway and we were certain that it would work. What we didn’t expect to find were low hanging wires that prevented us from pulling in. This is our life now…figuring things out on the fly. After talking with the police department and being encouraged not to leave it on the street overnight, they were kind enough to offer us a few suggestions. We ended up meeting a delightful couple, Jeff & Callie Kent of Fossil Creek Self Storage, who let us park our rig on their property not more than a half mile from Kyle’s house. No hookups or anything like that, but Kyle wanted us to stay with him anyway and it worked out so very well. God keeps providing over and over in ways we never expect. Love experiencing His guiding hands in all this. Jeff Kent helped search locally and on-line to help us find a tow dolly (please, please Lord, I don’t want to be the lead driver anymore). Another act of kindness to help us on our way. Didn’t realize that tow dolly’s were so hard to come by. We ended up leaving Kyle’s on Friday (3/4) morning and driving to Greenville TX to purchase a dolly. I was very grateful that God lead us to an actual trailer place so we could get it all hooked up and ready to go right there on the spot. Hallelujah, I finally can get out of the car and ride in our new home.

As excited as I was to be in the rig, I must admit I was pretty nervous about the whole thing. Okay, I was more than nervous, my stomach was in such knots that I was constantly praying for peace, all the while knowing that Bill was doing a good job and God is in control. Just for the record, I don’t like driving anything bigger than my car and my depth perception is horrible. That’s a funny thing about this new lifestyle, I’m a horrible passenger and Bill doesn’t particularly like driving. Oh what a God we serve. He’s got quite the sense of humor. Despite that, we do love what we’re doing.

We arrived, safe and sound, at our niece’s, Jenna Steffen Piggott’s home in Longview TX on Friday (3/4) afternoon. We had planned to be there much earlier, but have found everything takes longer in a motor home.  Another lesson for me…I’ve always been hurry hurry hurry, get it done in the most efficient quickest way possible and move on. I’m learning to take things much slower; another adjustment God is making in my life. (Shape me, mold me, make me more like You, dear Jesus.)
We were able to park the motor home directly in front of Jenna & Tim’s house and they so graciously provided us with electric and water. We were only able to let out one of the slides as the other two were on the street side. We still had plenty of room to move around; and crawling over the bed wasn’t so bad. We were also limited to the clothes we could access as when the bedroom slide is closed, the bed is up against the drawers. A lesson in thinking ahead. Good thing we keep our clean underwear in the upper cabinets…we actually planned it for that very reason. We had most of our meals and just hung out a lot with the family, but slept “at home.” I must admit it was fun sleeping in our own bed on a city road.

Had a great time with Tim, Jenna, Joshua (10), Ivy (almost 9), Levi (2), and Lorelie (5 mos). In the short time we were with them, I must admit I learned some great things from Jenna. She’s pretty laid back and helped me relax and enjoy the journey. One thing that she said, as we were giving her and the kids a ride in the motor home with the car attached going around a tight corner and me holding my breath…she asked me, “what have you experienced thus far?’ My answer spoke volumes to me anxious heart. “We’ve had good success thus far; Bill is doing a great job, I can rest in that.”


Pulled out of Longview TX on Tuesday morning (3/8). Still holding my breath a little, but feeling a bit more relaxed. Progress.  PTL! 

Next stop, an unexpected delight: Scottsville (TX) Nazarene Camp & Conference Center. Which is the camp we are currently parked in as mentioned at the beginning. More on that in my next post.

9 comments:

  1. Hi! Well thanks for updating everyone. What a great adventure. We pray God continues to bless you and guide you two as you continue on your journey. Michael and Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers! God is so faithful. Love you guys!

      Delete
  2. O this is such a splendid report of God's goodness and your obedience. I'm proud of you guys. ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. You're such a sweetheart!

      Delete
  3. O this is such a splendid report of God's goodness and your obedience. I'm proud of you guys. ♡

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your honesty Share. There were a few places I had to laugh. God is good. Peace will come. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures!!
    Love ya, ~Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the info and the stories - the parenthetical prayers make it very real. Also, very well written. You are truly on an amazing journey all the way around. I, on the other hand, am back in South Range, readying to continue my journey here. Grace, peace and blessings on you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouragement, prayers, and blessings. Love you!

      Delete